We know that dental offices can be intimidating and scary. Some patients cry because their dental anxiety is so severe that they cannot even sit in an operatory room. This is why, at Centrum Dental Centre, we’ve put your comfort as our top-priority. We want your appointment to go as smoothly as possible, so our dental office uses sedation dentistry to ensure you're fully comfortable.
Sedation dentistry is a form of dentistry that uses medication to help patients relax during a dental visit. It’s sometimes referred to as “sleep dentistry” because some of the sedatives used can put patients to sleep or in the “twilight zone”, where they are awake but not fully.
There are different types of levels of sedation used:
- Minimal sedation, it’s where you are awake but relaxed;
- Moderate sedation (otherwise known as “conscious sedation”) which makes you slur your words as your speak and not remember much of the procedure;
- Deep sedation which is where you’re on the edge of consciousness but you can be awaken;
- And finally, general anesthesia, which makes you completely unconscious.
With this, there are also different types of sedatives used that correspond to the different levels of sedations used
- Nitrous Gas, also known as laughing gas, is given to patients through a facemask. Our top-rated dentist can control the amount of gas to ensure maximum comfort and safety. Once the facemask is removed, the effects begin to wear off, so you'll likely be able to resume your normal activities following your appointment
- Oral Sedation requires the patient to take an oral sedative prior to their appointment. It helps patients stay relaxed and reduces their fear during their dental procedures. The patient is closely monitored to ensure they are stable and comfortable
- IV moderate sedation is when you receive sedative drugs through your veins, so it takes effect quickly.
- Deep sedation and general anesthesia is when you take sedatives that will make you totally unconscious during your dental procedures.
At Centrum Dental,we aim for a gentle and personalized approach for treating our patients, which can be done through sedation dentistry. Contact us to see if sedation is right for you.